Accessibility: Tour requires ascending 79 steps up to the tower, and 99 stairs down to the basement. There are no elevators. There will be some seating and opportunities to rest provided throughout the tour. The mansion is not air-conditioned and there may be extreme summer heat in the tower and cold temperatures in the basement. Not recommended for those with a fear of heights. Not fully ADA accessible and not recommended for people with physical disabilities.
Backstairs Tour Details
If you’ve taken the Classic Mansion Tour, chances are, you’ll be wanting more. This tour looks exclusively at ‘behind-the-scenes’ areas of the mansion. Come discover how during the Gilded Age and beyond, the staffs at Lyndhurst functioned to provide an efficient and seamless lifestyle for the Merritt and Gould Families!
The tour begins with a journey up 79 stairs to the 5th-floor observatory tower. After enjoying the spectacular views of the lower Hudson Valley and Manhattan, you will descend 99 stairs to view the servants’ quarters including the butler’s suite, root cellar, scullery, kitchen, ice closet, and servants’ dining room. The tour will conclude with a visit to the 1911 laundry building.
This tour is approximately one and a half hours and because of its physical demands, it is not recommended for individuals with mobility issues.
Accessibility and Precautions: For a safe and enjoyable experience, due to the number of narrow steps in the tower portion of the tour, please be advised of the following:
- This tour visits portions of the mansion that are not ADA accessible.
- This tour requires ascending 79 steps up to the tower, and 99 stairs down to the basement.
- There are no elevators in the mansion.
- The mansion is not air-conditioned and can reach high temperatures in the summer heat.
- This tour is not recommended for those with a fear of heights.
- The tour is limited to adults and children 12 or older.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult who is 18 or older.
- No person (including children and infants) may be lifted or carried throughout the tour.
To purchase tickets by phone: Call 1-888-718-4253 opt. 1 (please note that additional fees apply to phone orders.)