Currently, the mansion is not open for tours and the backstairs specialty tour is not available. Pending publication of further New York State guidelines for the reopening of museum buildings, we will re-evaluate the offering of Backstairs Tours in the future. Please check back here for updated guidance on the availability of Backstairs Tours.
For those wishing to experience more of the Mansion or for repeat visitors, please choose the Backstairs Tour. Highlights include climbing to the fifth-floor observation tower with spectacular views of the Hudson River and Manhattan. Then, descend the backstairs to view the butler’s suite and the extensive basement kitchen rooms. Exiting through the servants’ dining room, pass the herb garden and visit the c.1911 Laundry Building complete with original fixtures. This tour lasts one-and-a-half-hours and because of its physical demands it is not recommended for individuals with limited mobility or children under the age of 12.
Senior, AAA, Military, Student: $18
Online ticket sales close at 8 am on the day of the tour. Purchase by phone: Call 1(888)718-4253 opt. 1 (additional fees apply to phone orders). Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. Discounts available to eligible visitors. Membership discounts are valid for Classic Mansion Tours, April through September.
Saturdays: 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sundays: 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
For a safe and enjoyable experience, due to the number of narrow steps in the tower portion of the tour, please be advised of the following:
- This tour visits portions of the mansion that are not ADA accessible, and the tour is not recommended for people with physical disabilities.
- This tour requires ascending 79 steps up to the tower and 99 steps down to the basement and is not recommended for people with mobility issues or children under 12 who may have difficulty climbing stairs.
- The mansion is not air conditioned and upper floors of the tower may reach high temperatures in summer heat.
- There is no elevator in this historic building and only limited opportunities for seating and rest on this tour.
- This tour is not recommended for those with a fear of heights.
- No person (including children and infants) may be lifted or carried throughout the tour.