Lyndhurst invites you to explore the evolution of American identity and taste through our guided tour of 19 elaborately decorated rooms in the mansion interior. Visitors can also join special tours that explore Lyndhurst’s unique spaces like the recently restored bowling alley, majestic landscape, kitchens, laundry room, and observation tower.
The mansion’s hours change seasonally. Generally, we are open for tours Thursdays through Mondays with tours departing on the hour from 10 am to 4 pm. We are closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We close for winter projects from January through March.
Please see Tours and Hours for the most up-to-date schedules.
We offer a Classic Mansion Tour perfect for first-time visitors, and two specialty tours recommended for visitors returning to Lyndhurst for a closer look at the site’s unique and unseen spaces. For more information, visit Tours and Hours. We also offer group and private tours throughout the season.
Advance ticket purchase is recommended, as tours do sell out. Visit our list of events to purchase your tickets online. Guests without pre-purchased tickets are accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis depending on availability. To purchase tickets by phone: Call 1-888-718-4253 opt. 1 (please note that additional fees apply to phone orders.) Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
Walking & Recreation
Lyndhurst’s 67-acres of grounds are open 9 am to 5 pm (with exception to events that run into the evening). There is a $5 per person fee for those visiting the grounds by vehicle (see Parking below). Explore the property at your own risk. Lyndhurst is occasionally closed for private functions, please refer to signs at the front entrance. Dogs are welcome on leashes. No open flames or barbecues. Please do not climb any trees or structures on the property. Please – no skateboarding, roller blading or bicycling on historic (cement) paths or lawns as site conditions do not lend themselves to these activities.
Carry out what you carry in. The site is closed during inclement weather.
· Our Classic Mansion Tours visit two floors of the mansion, however, only the ground floor of the mansion is wheelchair accessible.
· There is no elevator in the mansion.
· Wheelchair accessible bathrooms are available at the Welcome Center.
· The Backstairs Tour and the Landscape Tour are physically demanding and are not recommended for individuals with mobility issues or difficulty walking up and down stairs.
· Strollers are not permitted within the mansion.
· Youth under 16 must be under parental supervision at all times.
· Please know that our Classic Mansion Tours is a one-hour discussion of history, architecture, and art, and may not be entertaining to young children. Kids 5 and under are more likely to enjoy exploring the grounds than a mansion tour.
· Backstairs and Landscape tours are limited to adults and youth over 12 years of age for the safety and comfort of all tour participants.
The Lyndhurst Museum Shop offers an array of items unique to Lyndhurst including seasonal items and local merchandise. Light snacks and refreshments are available for purchase at the shop. The Museum Shop is located at the Welcome Center and is open during regular hours, Thursday through Monday.
Lyndhurst charges $5 per person to visit the grounds by vehicle. The grounds fee can be credited toward the purchase of a tour ticket. No grounds fee is charged to pre-paid tour/event ticketholders or members. Parking is only available in designated lots. Do not park along roads and on the grass. Please note, there is no available off-site parking in the area near Lyndhurst. Download a site map here: Lyndhurst Site Map.
· Commercial, wedding, and engagement photography may be taken on the grounds with prior permission and by the purchase of a permit.
· Casual, non-flash photography is permitted inside the mansion on Classic Mansion Tours at the discretion of your tour guide. Video or filming is not permitted. No selfie-sicks, tripods, or other external equipment, please.
· Photography is not permitted inside the mansion during theater performances.
· Due to capacity issues, interior photography may not be allowed during October and December at the discretion of your guide.
· Upon entering the property, you grant to Lyndhurst and its employees, agents and assigns the right to photograph you and your dependent(s) for use in Lyndhurst print, electronic, and digital media and publications.