Lyndhurst invites you to explore the evolution of American identity and taste through our guided tour of 19 elaborately decorated rooms in the mansion interior. Visitors can also join special tours that explore Lyndhurst’s unique spaces like the recently restored bowling alley, majestic landscape, kitchens, laundry room, and observation tower.
The mansion’s hours change seasonally. Generally, we are open for tours Thursdays through Mondays with tours departing on the hour from 10 am to 4 pm. We are closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We close for winter projects from January through March.
Please see Tours and Hours for the most up-to-date schedules.
We offer a Classic Mansion Tour perfect for first-time visitors, and two specialty tours recommended for visitors returning to Lyndhurst for a closer look at the site’s unique and unseen spaces. For more information, visit Tours and Hours. We also offer group and private tours throughout the season.
Advance ticket purchase is recommended, as tours do sell out. Visit our list of events to purchase your tickets online. Guests without pre-purchased tickets are accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis depending on availability. To purchase tickets by phone: Call 1-888-718-4253 opt. 1 (please note that additional fees apply to phone orders.) Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
· Our Classic Mansion Tours visit two floors of the mansion, however, only the ground floor of the mansion is wheelchair accessible.
· There is no elevator in the mansion.
· Wheelchair accessible bathrooms are available at the Welcome Center.
· The Backstairs Tour and the Landscape Tour are physically demanding and are not recommended for individuals with mobility issues or difficulty walking up and down stairs.
· Strollers are not permitted within the mansion.
· Children must be under parental supervision at all times.
· Please know that our Classic Mansion Tours are a one-hour discussion of history, architecture, and art, and may not be entertaining to young children.
· Backstairs and Landscape tours are limited to adults and children over 12 years of age for the safety and comfort of all tour participants.
The Lyndhurst Museum Shop offers an array of items unique to Lyndhurst including seasonal items and local merchandise. Light snacks and refreshments are available for purchase at the shop. The Museum Shop is located at the Welcome Center and is open during regular hours.
Lyndhurst charges $5 per person to visit the grounds by vehicle. The grounds fee can be credited toward the purchase of a tour ticket. No grounds fee is charged to pre-paid ticket holders or members. Parking is only available in designated lots. Do not park along roads. Please note, there is no available off-site parking in the area near Lyndhurst.
· Commercial, wedding, and engagement photography may be taken on the grounds with prior permission and by purchase of license.
· Casual, non-flash photography is permitted inside the mansion on Classic Mansion Tours at the discretion of your tour guide. No selfie-sicks, tripods, or other external equipment, please.
· Photography is not permitted inside the mansion during theater performances, “Mansion Tours with a Halloween Twist,” or “Holiday Mansion Tours”.
· Upon entering the property, you grant to Lyndhurst and its employees, agents and assigns the right to photograph you and your dependent(s) for use in Lyndhurst print, electronic, and digital media and publications.
Walking & Recreation
Lyndhurst’s 67 acres of grounds are free and open to pedestrians between dawn and dusk. There is a $5 per person fee for those visiting the grounds by vehicle (see Parking above). Explore the property at your own risk. Please do not climb any trees or structures on the property. Carry out what you carry in. Dogs are welcome on leashes. No open flames or barbecues. The site is closed during inclement weather.